John D. Halfman
Professor of Geolimnology & Hydrogeochemistry
Finger Lakes Institute Endowed Chair in Environmental Studies
Chair, Envirnmental Studies Program
Finger Lakes Institute, Environmental Studies Program,
and Department of Geoscience at
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Geneva, New York 14456
firstname.lastname@example.org, (315) 781-3918, FAX (315)
The JB Snow (our 25-ft pontoon boat), the RV William Scandling (our 65-ft research vessel), and
601 S Main
St., home to the Finger Lakes Institute
Finger Lakes Institute
Is dedicated to the promotion of environmental research and
education about the Finger Lakes and surrounding environments. In collaboration
with regional environmental partners and state and local government offices,
the Institute fosters environmentally-sound development practices throughout
the region, and disseminates the accumulated knowledge to the general public.
For more information, see its web site <FLI>
Energy - An introductory/interdisciplinary course for Env.
Studies co-taught Tom
Environmental Science -
An introductory non-majors course
on environmental science
Environmental Geology - An introductory non-majors course on environmental geology
The Fluid Earth - An introductory course for Geoscience & Env. Studies majors
Limnology - An
advanced for majors course on the hydrogeochemistry of lakes
An Excel Primer - A tutorial and example environmental problem(s) for beginning Excel users.
Seneca Lake Buoy Data - Autonomous Water Quality and Meteorological Data from a Buoy
Seneca Lake Water Quality - Water Quality Report for Seneca Lake
Seneca Lake Major Ion Hydrogeochemistry - A Hydrogeochemistry Paper for Seneca Lake
Seneca Lake Zebra Mussels - Zebra Mussels in Seneca Lake
Owasco Lake Water Quality - Owasco Lake Water Quality Study
Finger Lakes Limnology, Water Quality Comparisons - Finger Lakes Water Quality
Atrazine in Seneca Lake & Its Watershed - The Concentration and Source of Atrazine
in the Seneca Lake Watershed - A
honors project by Lindsey Bowser, WS '02
Seneva Lake Water Quality Movie -YouTube version
Seneca Lake Watershed Quality Degradation - PC/Apple Computer, mov, hi-resolution, 200 MB, version - Summer 2012. Largre screen view but it takes a while to load.
Seneca Lake Watershed Quality Degradation - IPad, m4v, lo-resolution, 30 MB, version - Summer 2012. Loads faster but smaller screen.
Movie on Water Sampling - Summer, 2011 (smaller format)
Movie on Water Sampling - Summer, 2011 (larger format)
Movie on Water Sampling - Summer, 2011 (*.mov file for older computers)
Building an Energy Efficient
Studies Summer Youth Institute - Their
on Seneca - A
high school outreach program on Seneca Lake
Seneca Lake Chloride/Sodium Concentrations Power Point
++++++> Seneca Lake Zebra & Quagga Mussel Power
Pure Waters Association - A
revitalized citizen-based, environmental, watchdog group
Lake Area Partners in 5 Counties (SLAP-5) - A
watershed plan development team
Samuel Otto Halfman Wedding (7-28-2012)
Marie, John, Audrey (Hook), Sam, Barbara & Camille Halfman (just after the ceremony)
Eleanora L Halfman (happy grandma)
Barbara and John D Halfman (tired parents)
- Halfman, J.D., Meyer, S., Cleckner, L., Robertson, C.M. & D. Zorn., et al., 2012. Seneca Lake Management Plan, Characterization and Subwatershed Evaluation. Hobart & William Smith Colleges, Finger Lakes Institute, Genesee/Finger Lakes Regional Planning Council, Southern Tier Central Regional Planning and Development Board. 155 pg.
- Halfman, J.D., E. Black*, L. Carver Dionne*, C. Ellis* and P. Hackett*, 2012. Owasco Lake, New York: Water quality and nutrient sources, a 2012 update. Finger Lakes Institute, Hobart and William Smith Colleges. 42 pg.
- Halfman, J.D., 2011. Water quality of Seneca Lake, New York: A 2011 Update (ver 2). Finger Lakes Institute, Hobart and William Smith Colleges. 41 pg
- Halfman, J.D., E.G. Cummings* and M.M. Stewart*, 2011. Owasco Lake, New York: Water Quality and Nutrient Sources, A 2011 Update. Finger Lakes Institute, Hobart and William Smith Colleges. 44 pg
- Halfman, J.D., 2010. Owasco Lake: A 2010 Update. Finger Lakes Institute, Hobart and William Smith Colleges. 24 pg.
- Halfman, J.D., and K.O. O’Neill*, 2010. Water quality and nutrient sources in the Owasco Lake watershed: A 2010 Update. Finger Lakes Institute, Hobart and William Smith Colleges. 22 pg
- Halfman, J.D., 2009. Wastewater Treatment: Where do Toilet & Sink Wastes Go?
- Halfman, J.D., 2009. Landfills: Where Does Our Trash Go?
- Burtch, N., 2009. Landfill and Wastewater Treatment Facilities in the Finger Lakes Region.
- Halfman, J.D., and P. Basnet*, 2009. Bottom-water phsophates and suspended sediments in southern Cayuga Lake, New York. Finger Lakes Institute, Hobart and William Smith Colleges. 21 pg.
- Halfman, J.D., and K. O’Neill*, 2009. Water quality of the Finger Lakes, New York: 2005 – 2008. Finger Lakes Institute, Hobart and William Smith Colleges. 33 pg.
Halfman, J.D., T.F. Ware*, and K.A. O’Neill*. 2008. The 2007 Progress Report: Phosphate and suspended sediment distribution and potential sources to southern Cayuga Lake. Finger Lakes Institute, Hobart and William Smith Colleges. 9 pg.
Halfman, J.D., E.S. Brown*, T.F. Ware*, K.A. O’Neill*, C.K. Franklin* and R.E. Dye*, 2008. Owasco Lake, New York: Water Quality and Nutrient Sources. In: Halfman, J.D., M.E. Balyszak and S.A. Meyer (eds.), A 2007 Water Quality Study of Owasco Lake, New York. Finger Lakes Institute, Hobart and William Smith Colleges. 37 pg.
Halfman, J.D., and C.K. Franklin*, 2008. Water Quality of Seneca Lake, New York: A 2007 Update. Finger Lakes Institute, Hobart and William Smith Colleges.
Halfman, J.D., B.L. Holler*, and H.M. Philip*, 2006. A preliminary water quality study of Owasco Lake, NY, and its watershed. Finger Lakes Institute, Hobart and William Smith Colleges. 26 pg.
- Halfman, J.D., C.M. Caiazza*, R.J. Stewart*, S.M. Opalka*, and C.K. Morgan*. 2006., Major ion hydrogeochemical budgets and elevated chloride concentrations in Seneca Lake, New York. Northeastern Geology and Environmental Sciences, v. 28, p. 324-333.
- Halfman, J.D., and K. F. Bush*, 2006. A Preliminary Water Quality
Study of selected Finger Lakes, New York. Finger Lakes Institute Report, 15
- Halfman, J.D., I West*, T.M. Hintz*, and B.A. Beckingham* and many
other undergraduate students, 2006. Water Quality and Pollution Sources to
the Keuka Outlet, 2003-2005. Report to the Torrey Ad-Hoc Water Quality Committee.
12 pg text, 13 pg data & figures.
- Halfman, J.D., D.E. Dittman, R.W. Owens, and M.D. Etherington*, 2006.
Storm induced redistribution of deepwater sediments in Lake Ontario. J of
Great Lakes Research. 32: 348-360.
- Riley*, T.C., T.A. Endreny, and J.D. Halfman, 2006, Monitoring soil
moisture and water table height with a low-cost data logger. Computers and
Geoscience. 32: 135-140.
- Halfman, J.D., D. Wood*, and S. Strong*, 2004. Bathymetric Survey
of Owasco Lake for the Institute for the Application of Geospatial Technology
(IAGT), Auburn, New York. In-House Report, Finger Lakes Institute, Hobart
and William Smith Colleges.
- Eyles, N., M Doughty, J.I. Boyce, H.T. Mullins, J.D. Halfman and
B. Koseogulu*, 2002, Acoustic architecture of ice-contacted glaciolacustrine
sediments deformed during zonal stagnation of the Laurentide Ice Sheet; Mazinaw
Lake, Ontario, Canada. Sedimentary Geology. 157: 133-151.
- Halfman, J.D., S.M.
Baldwin*, J.P. Rumpf* and M.B. Giancarlo*, 2001, The impact of the zebra mussel
(Dreissena polymorpha) on the limnology, geochemistry and sedimentology of
Seneca Lake, New York. Wagenet, L.P., D.A. Eckhardt, N.G. Hairston, D.E. Karig,
and R. Yager, eds., A Symposium on the Environmental Research in the Cayuga
Lake Watershed. October 12, 1999. Natural Resource, Agriculture and Engineering
Service (NRAES), Cooperative Extension, Cornell University. P. 154-166.
- Mullins, H.T. and J.D.
Halfman, 2001. High-resolution deglacial and post glacial seismic stratigraphy
of Owasco Lake, New York. Quaternary Research, v. 55, p. 322-331.
- Dedrick*, R.R., J.D. Halfman & D.B. McKinney, 2000. An inexpensive, microprocessor-based, data logging
system. Computers and Geosciences, v. 26, p. 1059-1066.
- Eyles, N., J.I. Boyce*, J.D.
B. Koseogulu*, 2000, Seismic-stratigraphy of Waterton Lake, a sediment starved
glaciated basin in the Rocky Mountains of Alberta, Canada and Montana, USA.
Sedimentary Geology. v. 130, p. 283-311.
- Halfman, J.D., 2000, Stratigraphy, sedimentology, and geochemistry
of Seneca Lake, New York. New York State Geological Association Annual Meeting.
NYSGA Field Trip Guidebook. p. 27-38.
J.D., and many undergraduate
students*, 1999. Limnology and Water Quality. Chapter 6A. Setting the Course
for Seneca Lake - The State of the Seneca Lake Watershed, 1999. Chap 6A, 28
- Halfman, J.D., and many undergraduate students*,
1999, Seneca Lake Stream Water Quality. Chapter 6B, Setting the Course for
Seneca Lake - The State of the Seneca Lake Watershed, 1999. Chap
6B, 16 p.
- Halfman, J.D., and
D.T. Herrick*, 1998, Mass-movement and reworking of late glacial and postglacial
sediments in northern Seneca Lake, New York. Northeastern Geology and Environmental
Sciences, 20: 227-241.
Various earlier papers on paleoclimate and lake studies:
- Vollmer, M.K, H.A. Bootsma, R.E. Hecky, G. Patterson, J.D. Halfman, J.M. Edmond, D.H. Eccles, & R.F. Weiss, 2005, Deep-Water Warming Trend in Lake Malawi, East Africa. Limnology & Oceanography. 50: 727-732.
- Halfman, J.D., T.C. Johnson and B.P. Finney, 1994, New AMS dates, stratigraphic correlations and decadal climatic cycles for the past 4 ka at Lake Turkana, Kenya. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 111: 83-98.
- Halfman, J.D., 1993, Water column characteristics from modern CTD data, Lake Malawi, Africa. Journal of Great Lakes Research, 19: 512-520.
- Halfman, J.D. and C.A. Scholz, 1993, Suspended sediments in Lake Malawi, Africa: A reconnaissance study. Journal of Great Lakes Research, 19: 449-511.
- Halfman, J.D., D.F. Jacobson, C.M Cannella, K.A. Haberyan & BP Finney, 1992, Fossil Diatoms and the mid to late Holocene paleolimnology of Lake Turkana, Kenya: A reconnaisance study. J Paleolimnology, 7: 23-35.
- Halfman, J.D. and T.C. Johnson, 1988, High-resolution record of cyclic climatic change during the past 4 Ka from Lake Turkana, Kenya. Geology, 16: 496-500.
- Johnson, T.C., J.D. Halfman, W.H. Busch and R.D. Flood, 1984, Effects of bottom currents and fish on sedimentation in a deep-water, lacustrine environment. Geological Society of America, Bulletin, 95: 1425-1436.
- Halfman, J.D., and T.C. Johnson, 1984, Enhanced atmospheric circulation over North America during the Early Holocene: Evidence from Lake Superior. Science, 224, 61-63.