THE UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND was established in 1909 by an Act of State
Parliament to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Queensland's separation
from the colony of New South Wales. See
Brief History of the University of Queensland.
The University's main campus is at St. Lucia which is seven kilometers from
the heart of Brisbane. The campus is 114 hectares and is situated in a
bend of the Brisbane River.
The heart of the campus is a semi-circle of cloistered buildings known
as the Great Court.
The cloistered walkway provides shade in the heat of the day or
cover in a downpour.
All the buildings on the Great Court are faced with
distinctive Helidon sandstone from a quarry in Queensland.
The stone is
a dramatic mixture of hues of brown, tan, grey, salmon, and purple and
is especially beautiful in early morning light.
Adorning the buildings are a series of gargoyles based on former faculty.