TEXTS for Bids 240:
- Hung Fan, Ross F. Conner, Luis P. Villarreal, AIDS:
Science and Society, Jones and Bartlett (1996).
- Gefvert, Constance, The Confident Writer, 2nd Ed.
, Norton (1988).
- Kramer, Larry, Reports from the Holocaust: The
Making of an AIDS Activist. St. Martin's Press (1994).
- Lather, Patti and Smithers, Chris,
Troubling the Angels: Women Living with AIDS,
Westview Press (1997).
- Mann, Jonathan and Tarantola, Danial (ed.),
AIDS in the World II: Global Dimensions, Social Roots, and Responses.
Oxford University Press (1996)
- Campbell, Courtney S, "Ethics and Militant AIDS Activism";
in AIDS & Ethics, ed. Frederic G. Reamer, Columbia University Press (1991) pp155-187
- Farmer, Paul and Kleinman, Arthur, "AIDS as
Human Suffering" DAEDALUS Journal of the American Academy of Arts
and Sciences: Living with AIDS, 118(2), (1989) pp135-160
- Grover, Jan Zita. "AIDS: Keywords" October,
43, (1987) pp17-30
- Hamburg, Margaret A. and Fauci, Anthony S. "AIDS:
The Challenge to Biomedical Research" DAEDALUS Journal of the American
Academy of Arts and Sciences: Living with AIDS, 118(2), (1989) pp19-40
- Reamer, Frederic G. "AIDS: The Relevance of Ethics";
in AIDS & Ethics,ed. Frederic G. Reamer, Columbia University Press (1991) pp1-25
- The New York Times
Your choice, one other periodical (see last page
SUGGESTED SUPPLEMENTARY PERIODICALS
In addition to the library and bookstores you can
find periodicals in the Creedon Room, Student Activities Center, the Women's
Resource Center, and the Geneva Free Library. You should choose one of
the periodicals below (or another in consultation with us) to read during
the term and to supplement the New York Times scrap book. For monthly periodicals,
you should review issues over the last year as well as issues that arrive
during the term. Students with facility in foreign language could choose
a newspaper or other periodical in that language. Daily periodicals should
be read daily during the term. Possible readings might come from:
Wall Street Journal
US News & World Reports
Scientific American Newsweek
The Empty Closet (SAC) -- Rochester gay newspaper
The Advocate -- National gay newspaper London Times
The Village Voice
Off Our Backs -- National women's newspaper
The New England Journal of Medicine
Sketch Book (11 x 14") for clippings and essays